This site is dedicated to everything that can be disagreed about. There are appropriate swear words and graphic descriptions so PLEASE, keep your children off this site. In fact, don't let your kids look at anything with a screen.

Monday, December 26, 2005

In Search of House Slippers

First of all, I hope everybody had a fantastic Christmas! Mine was very good. Not because of meaningless gifts, but because my yeast was alive when I proofed it. This made for some fantastic bread and cinnamon rolls. Mmmmm, cinnamon rolls.

Anyway, I spent a full day before Christmas on the phone and in the malls looking for a pair of house slippers for my wife. I searched far and wide for a pair that has a leather sole and not made in China. I even went to Estes Park. Can you imagine moccasins, which have long been associated with American Indians, are made only in China? Maybe they should, in the interest of honesty, call the slippers whatever the Chinese word for them is.

I bemoaned my plight to my Mother-in-Law. Imagine my surprise yesterday, when she gave my wife a pair of slippers. On the bottom of the plastic soles, in prominent letters: Made in China! She purchased the shoes less than an hour after my conversation with her! FUCK!

I love my Mom-in-Law, but I sure wanted to kick her square in her ass yesterday. Nothing she purchased for Christmas gifts is made in the United States. I want to force her to throw every gift she purchased in the trash. I didn't of course, but I did remind her, again, that purchasing goods made in the USA is extremely important to me.

Fortunately, an American Indian friend of mine gave me a pattern so that I can make my wife a pair for her birthday in January. I just need material and some leather tools.

Something to leave you with:

"I have come to a resolution myself as I hope every good citizen will, never again to purchase any article of foreign manufacture which can be had of American make, be the difference of price what it may." --Thomas Jefferson to B. S. Barton, 1815. ME 19:223

4 Comments:

Blogger Black Bear said...

Hey man!

You should have written this before Christmas. I could have gotten you some earlier this month. My brother in law makes them.

If you give me your wife's shoe size, I can get them.

9:32 AM

 
Blogger JCHess said...

At one time, a few months ago, a fellow I know gave me the address for a web site that promotes American-made. It's something like 'buyamerican.com'. I'd call him but I know he is out of town for the holidays and I have a deadline to chase at the moment. So let me know what comes of your search. I may write at length about it one of these days.

6:05 PM

 
Blogger Holly said...

I boycott things made in China, but likely for different reasons than you. My reasons are purely leftist. LOL...

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that Americans are too spoiled with the low prices of Walmart and the like, which sells very little of anything American made, so our boycotts are futile. But glad to know I'm not alone!

P.S. My boycott isn't linked to Walmart. Bet you thought it was though. Nope, it has to do with the inhumane treatment of children and animals.

9:47 PM

 
Blogger The Plumber said...

Holly, those are some of the many reasons I boycott Chinese products.

I haven't stepped foot into a Walmart in nearly a decade.

jchess, thanks for the link.

10:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home