This site is dedicated to everything that can be disagreed about. There are appropriate swear words and graphic descriptions so PLEASE, keep your children off this site. In fact, don't let your kids look at anything with a screen.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Have Things Really Changed So Much? or, Cartoon Redux

Now I remember why I like the periodical, National Review, so much. This quote comes from the February 27, 2006 issue.

I cobble together a verse comedy about the customs of the harem, assuming that...I can say what I like about Mohammed without drawing hostile fire. Next thing, some envoy from God-know-where turns up and complains that in my play I have offended the Ottoman empire, Persia, a large slice of the Indian peninsula, the whole of Egypt, and the kingdoms of Barca [Ethiopia], Tripoli, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco. And so my play sinks without a trace, all to placate a bunch of Muslim princes, not one of whom, as far as I know, can read but who beat the living daylights out of us and say we are 'Christian dogs.' Since they can't stop a man from thinking, they take is out on his hide instead.

-Beaumarchais (1784), from The Marriage of Figaro

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike's America said...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Plumber. I'm going to post it too.

They can't blame that one on George W. Bush, American Imperialism or Israel.

12:43 AM

 
Blogger The Plumber said...

Yeah, Who'd a thunk it?

7:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buddy guy

2:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cold forgings india limited sona

2:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home